Barnesville township was named after its railway village, which
was established in 1874 by George S. Barnes
. George was born in Vermont in 1840. Moving to Clay County in 1871, he was a farmer and wheat
merchant, who owned and managed a very large farm near Glyndon
and died there 28 November 1912. The village was incorporated
on 4 November 1881 and received its charter as a city on 4 April 1889.